To serve homeless children and their families and provide new opportunities for healthy, stable family life.
People Serving People achieves its mission and goals by providing emergency housing and community services that assist families experiencing homelessness in becoming self-sufficient and reconnected with the community. In a safe, secure and sober environment, PSP provides services which cultivate independence and accountability.
What distinguishes PSP from other emergency shelters is the broad range of on-site programs and services designed to address common barriers that homeless families are faced with. To provide a new opportunity for families, it is necessary that we help them find ways to break through these barriers and stop patterns that lead to poverty and homelessness. Housing and employment issues are addressed, along with educational, emotional and life enrichment needs.
- People Serving People is the regions largest and most comprehensive family-focused shelter.
- 1,286 homeless families received shelter in our 99 emergency shelter rooms.
- 60% of guests were children and 33% are under the age of six years old.
- The average age of a child staying at People Serving People is 6 years old.
- The number of families who stayed with us rose 4% in 2013, averaging 365 guests per day.
- 39 days was the average length of stay for a family.
- Over 4,600 volunteers shared more than 32,400 hours as Meal Servers, Tutors, Tech Mentors, Readers and more.
- 252,171 meals were served.
- 35 to 40 school buses arrive twice a day to take our children to their home town schools.
- 612 children were provided childcare in our Early Childhood Development Program.
- 412 school-aged youth received one-on-one tutoring sessions from volunteers.
- 10 people graduated from our intensive 13-week Culinary Arts Training Program.
- 203 parents found a job during their stay with help from our Employment Services Program, and hundreds more got job interviews.
Â On-Site Facilities and Collaborations
- 99 emergency shelter rooms.
- Ten two-bedroom supportive apartments.
- Licensed Early Childhood Development Program, 4 Star Parent Aware rated, educating and caring for 52 children, infants through pre-school.
- Full-service dining hall serving three meals a day, seven days a week.
- Medical clinic open five days a week staffed by Hennepin County.
- 50 collaborative agencies onsite providing connections to mental and chemical health, housing, employment, literacy, early childhood development and legal aid programs.
- Minneapolis Public Schools office onsite, arranges registration and transportation for all children to attend school, on time, every day.
- Technology Resource Center for job searching, apartment hunting and Microsoft Office training.
- Library stocked with books for children and adults.
- 24 Hour front desk service supplying diapers, formula, warm clothing and other basic needs.
- After school programs and tutors assisting children with homework.
- Employment Services offered to help adults prepare for and find jobs.
- Family advocates ensuring families get connected with the resources and services they need.
- Culinary Arts Programs for adults.
- Children’s Educational Programming offering recreational programs and field trips for our children.
- Life skills workshops.
- Guest access to voice mail and e-mail.
- Parent Engagement Program for parent education and resource connection.
Learn more at www.peopleservingpeople.org
614 Third Street South
Minneapolis, MN 55415